Ronaldo consoled by Mbappe, Pele and LeBron James as Portugal captain ends World Cup career

Cristiano Ronaldo s farewell to the World Cup was followed by tributes from sporting superstars Pele, Kylian Mbappe and LeBron James.

The Portugal captain said his dream of winning the trophy was over, after his fifth World Cup ended with a quarter-final defeat to Morocco.

Now 37, Ronaldo has conceded the Qatar 2022 tournament was his last World Cup, although he has left the door open for now on playing on in the short term.

Ronaldo lost his place in the side and was a second-half substitute in the last-16 win over Switzerland and also the Morocco game.

He became the first player to score in five separate World Cups, having netted in each edition since 2006, and is also now the joint most-capped player and highest goalscorer in international football hist…

Kaka looking for Madrid exit

Kaka has admitted he wants to leave Real Madrid and is hopeful a move can be arranged before the transfer deadline.

The Brazilian midfielder signed from MIlan in 2009 for €65 million but has only started 61 Liga games in the four years since, and with competition for places at the Bernabeu stronger than ever, he is ready to depart in search of first-team football.

Real boss Carlo Ancelotti has added to his midfield options during the close-season with the additions of Isco and Asier Illarramendi, pushing Kaka further down the pecking order in the Spanish capital.

And the 31-year-old has now go public with his desire to head to pastures new.

I want to leave, he is quoted as saying to Spanish newspaper AS. I think it’s the best thing for me and for the club.

Inter chief claims Vidic deal ´90 percent´ done

Manchester United s Nemanja Vidic appears close to signing for Inter after president Erick Thohir claimed a deal is 90 per cent done.

The Serbia international centre-back announced his decision to end his eight-year association with the Premier League champions earlier in February.

United s outgoing captain was reportedly disappointed with the lack of movement on a long-term contract at Old Trafford and subsequently announced he would play for a side outside of England.

Inter emerged as favourites for his signature, and his move to San Siro is seemingly nearing a conclusion.

I can t saying anything other than the deal for Vidic is 90 per cent done, Thohir told journalists at Milan s Malpensa airport.

When everything is sorted we will make an announcement. <…

Digne determined to deliver on France promise

Lucas Digne says the France team must do everything possible to make it a successful Euro 2016 on home soil.

Didier Deschamps side are among the favourites to lift the Henri Delaunay Trophy, as they prepare to open the tournament against Romania in Paris on Friday.

Paris Saint-Germain defender Digne, who spent last season on loan at Roma, is determined to seize the opportunity presented to the squad.

It s a dream, he told Omnisport when asked about playing a European Championship as hosts.

It s just fabulous. The World Cup before Brazil, I watched the competition in [the] cinema with friends, he said, referring to South Africa in 2010.

Events like that, it s fabulous. In addition, [being] in France, with all the hype, it s just magical.

Emery focused on first leg

Sevilla head coach Unai Emery has stressed he is not thinking beyond the first leg of his side s UEFA Europa League semi-final.

Emery s charges host his former club Valencia in the opening match of the last-four tie on Thursday, with the return leg taking place the following week.

But the 42-year-old insists his focus is solely on picking up a victory in this week s encounter.

No two games, there is one, no management two games, is a game, managing 90 minutes, he said. There is only one match, we have to flow into that game.

But Emery was quick to add that nothing would be resolved in the first leg.

Within 90 minutes will be solved nothing, he continued. There will be a continuity of 180 minutes there.

Emery managed Valencia between 2008 and 2012, b…

Monaco to bid for Matic; Roma lining up Pastore swoop

Monaco to bid for Matic

Sky Italia is reporting that Monaco are stepping up their efforts to sign Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic from Benfica.

The Serbian is likely to become one of the hottest commodities in the January transfer window, with a host of top European clubs casting admiring glances his way.

And while Manchester United, Chelsea, Napoli and few other sides have yet to make their interest concrete, Monaco are set to test Benfica s resolve with a €25 million bid.

Claudio Ranieri is reportedly unimpressed with his current options in the centre of the park and is eager to add the Serbia international to his ranks in the winter.

Nemanja Matic continues to impress with his performances at Estadio da Luz, and has even proved his attackin…

Jurgen Klopp plays down value of 50th European win after Liverpool beat LASK

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp played down his record-breaking 50th European win after the 3-1 victory over LASK in Austria.

His side came from behind for the fourth time in six matches as goals from Darwin Nunez, Luis Diaz and substitute Mohamed Salah secured the German’s 50th European victory for the club – surpassing the record he held with Rafael Benitez.

“Let me say it like this, if I still have 50 after the group stage, then even if I’ve still got the most wins in Europe as a Liverpool manager then everybody will hate that,” he said.

The boss making Reds history tonight

— Liverpool FC (@LFC)

“The highest number of wins but everybody will hate it.

“So it’s nice – we have played a lot of games in Europe, but it is…

Prediction: Fulham vs Crystal Palace

Prediction: Draw

Best Odds: 

Bookmaker: 

If you re excited for the return of Premier League football, then we can hardly say we blame you. This looks sets to be one of the most competitive editions of the top flight that we ve ever seen, and following England s heroics in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, more eyes than ever will be on the league. Two teams who will be hoping to exceed expectations this season are Fulham and Crystal Palace, as the two London clubs prepare to face off against one another in their season opener this weekend.

Fulham

In terms of newly promoted teams, Wolves have been getting most of the attention, but that doesn t mean Fulham and Cardiff haven t been either especially the Cottagers. They ve made a series of really impressive addi…

Christensen rewarded with new Chelsea contract

Chelsea have announced that defender Andreas Christensen has signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract.

The 21-year-old has committed himself to the Premier League champions until the end of the 2021-22 season.

Christensen s new deal comes as a reward for his strong performances under Antonio Conte this term.

It feels really good to sign a new contract and I m just happy to be committed to Chelsea for the future, the centre-back told the club s official website. 

I ve played a lot of games, I m enjoying it at the club and everything is working well.

 Andreas Christensen has today signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract with the Blues!

Full story  

— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC)

Christensen signed in 2012 but spen…

Manchester United 0 Burnley 0: Heroic Heaton denies Mourinho´s 10 men

An outstanding performance from goalkeeper Tom Heaton against his former club helped Burnley to earn a 0-0 Premier League draw away to Manchester United, who finished with 10 men on Saturday following Ander Herrera s sending off.

United, who also had manager Jose Mourinho sent to the stands at half-time, controlled the play and carved out a host of chances, but were unable to get past the sublime Heaton.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Juan Mata in particular will wonder how they failed to find the back of the net, as the visitors weathered the storm to take a valuable point.

Their cause was helped by the careless dismissal of Herrera, who was booked for late tackles on Dean Marney in each half to receive his marching orders with 22 minutes to go.

The result leave…