Ibrahimovic points finger at Swedish media over World Cup snub

Zlatan Ibrahimovic believes the Swedish media are responsible for his World Cup omission.

Ibrahimovic retired from international football after Sweden s underwhelming Euro 2016 campaign, when they were eliminated at the group stage.

Since then, the fiery striker has continued to impress in front of goal with Manchester United and now LA Galaxy and he appeared to be eager on a return to the Sweden team for the World Cup, hinting several times that he would play in Russia.

Coach Janne Andersson then shut the door on Ibrahimovic in April, saying in an interview: If you rejected the team, I do not think you should come back.

But Sweden s record goal-scorer thinks media coverage back home has counted against him more than his retirement.

. talks   …

‘We need to reset’ says Mikel Arteta as fading Arsenal exit FA Cup to Liverpool

Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal need a psychological “reset” after they could not capitalise on chances in their 2-0 FA Cup third-round loss to Liverpool at the Emirates.

The Gunners dominated the first half but Jakub Kiwior conceded an own goal after 80 minutes before Luis Diaz’s neat finish in second half added-time was enough for Jurgen Klopp’s men to claim victory.

Arteta’s side now have just one win in seven matches across all competitions and the boss agreed his side risk falling into a mental slump after failing to find the finishing touch.

Every word from the boss post-Liverpool press conference can be read now

— Arsenal (@Arsenal)

He said: “Probably it has (become a psychological issue). Especially after today, more than it …

Football rumours: Real Madrid scope out Everton defender Jarrad Branthwaite

Tottenham keep working on Radu Dragusin deal, club still confident to make it happen — no changes.

Spurs want to close the deal as soon as possible. Negotiations at final stages, key 24 hours ahead.

FC Bayern have not sent any formal bid to Genoa for Dragusin so far.

— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano)

Players to watch

Hugo Ekitike: Wolves are reportedly interested in signing the 21-year-old Paris St Germain forward, according to French outlet L’Equipe.

Jonathan David: The 23-year-old Canada forward, currently at Lille in France, has attracted interest from Manchester United and Aston Villa, Football Transfers reports.

Palace confirm Jerome capture

Stoke City striker Cameron Jerome has joined Crystal Palace for the remainder of the season on a loan deal.

The 27-year-old was the final addition in a flurry of last-minute activity for Ian Holloway s side, with defender Adrian Mariappa and Scotland international Barry Bannan also coming in on deadline day.

His arrival marks the 14th for the newly promoted club during the window, and could signal a chance at first-team football for the striker who made just eight Premier League starts for Stoke last season.

And after playing less than 10 minutes for the club in the opening three matches of the new campaign, the former England Under-21 international will look to make an impact once again.

He will be hoping to make his bow on September 14 when Palace visit Old Tra…

World Cup qualifying preview: Montenegro v England

Roy Hodgson s England face a tough assignment in 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying on Tuesday, when they go away to Montenegro.

England could only manage a 2-2 draw when they travelled to Podgorica in October 2011, giving up a two-goal lead and seeing Wayne Rooney sent off.

The Balkan side had previously earned an impressive 0-0 draw at Wembley Stadium in October 2010, and proved England s toughest obstacle in qualifying for Euro 2012.

Then coached by Italian Fabio Capello, England ultimately topped their group by six points, with Montenegro finishing second and losing in the play-offs to the Czech Republic.

But the situation is far less comfortable for Hodgson and his players this time around England are second in Group H, two points behind leaders Monteneg…

Roberto Carlos open to coaching in A-League

Real Madrid and Brazilian great Roberto Carlos said he would be interested in coaching in the A-League.

Regarded as one of the greatest left-backs in the history of football, 2002 World Cup winner Roberto Carlos has been without a coaching role since leaving Indian Super League outfit Delhi Dynamos in 2015.

Roberto Carlos was linked with a move to Australia prior to his departure from Delhi last year, having previously managed Akhisar Belediyespor and Sivasspor in Turkey, while he also worked for Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.

While happy in his role as an ambassador for LaLiga giants and European champions Madrid, the 43-year-old – winner of four La Liga titles and three Champions League crowns during his illustrious playing career in the Spanish capital – …

FACT: Vardy ends drought as Man City make worst start in 10 years

Jamie Vardy s long wait for a Leicester City goal came to an end on Saturday, as Manchester City made their worst start to a Premier League match since 2006.

England international Vardy raced onto Islam Slimani s throughball to open the scoring just two minutes into the match at the King Power Stadium, finding the back of the net in a Foxes shirt for the first time since registering in a 4-1 loss to Liverpool on September 10.

The goal marked the end of an agonising 741-minute drought for the 29-year-old who, ironically, set a new record by scoring in 11 consecutive Premier League matches in November 2015, as Claudio Ranieri s team began their improbable march to championship glory. 

And it will have come as a welcome tonic for the home team, who were still reeli…

Liverpool v Man Utd: How can Solskjaer´s side repeat Old Trafford result?

Liverpool are 21 matches into their Premier League title bid and, remarkably, have failed to win just once.

Jurgen Klopp s side look unstoppable as they charge towards a first top-flight championship since 1989-90, building a 14-point lead – with a game in hand – heading into this weekend s fixtures.

But the one team to halt Liverpool this term, holding the Reds to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford on October 20, were bitter rivals Manchester United.

Only a late Adam Lallana equaliser to cancel out Marcus Rashford s opener maintained the leaders unbeaten league campaign.

United face Liverpool again on Sunday, visiting Anfield, so we take a look at what went right for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer s men last time and what they must do to earn a result again on Merseys…

David Duckenfield to go on trial for Hillsborough charges

Former South Yorkshire Police (SYP) chief superintendent David Duckenfield will face trial for the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 football fans at Hillsborough following a ruling by a judge.

The judge at Preston Crown Court on Friday lifted a stay on Duckenfield s prosecution, which was imposed 18 years ago, and granted a voluntary bill of indictment to allow the prosecution against him to proceed. Four other men will also stand trial.

Duckenfield was the SYP match commander for the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool at Hillsborough. A crush on the Leppings Lane terrace resulted in 96 Liverpool supporters being fatally injured.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) brought the charges in June 2017 following an inquest that r…

Should Ronaldinho go to the World Cup?

As I watched Ronaldinho terrorise Siena for AC Milan at the San Siro on Sunday, it took me back to the halcyon days of his career at Barcelona.

It took me back to the days of the smiling assassin receiving a standing ovation at Real Madrid s Bernabeu, after scoring a fantastic goal and putting in a superb display.

Respected football magazine World Soccer voted him the Player of the Decade. I don t think anybody could argue with that decision. His sheer brilliance made him one of the best players of his generation.

His vision, pace and dribbling ability was unique among his peers. His ability was even compared to Diego Maradona and Pele. He never quite made it to their levels of greatest but I would say he would be in my top ten players ever list. He is certainly…